Tuesday 21 July 2015

apple tree hanging over me

We know that the apple
can't stay very long unbit
when human eyes 
prolongingly 
have settled upon it
And though this may be futile
in the observation post
The irony of apples
has unsettled me the most
for example we're aware 
that we have no control
of the curiosity
that tightly grips our soul
never feeling sated 
even when it's overfed
and in this claim there's no dissent
it's stuck inside our head
this cruel insatiability
that tickles us the most
a hostage taking inquiry
of which we're full-engrossed
with thought-stealing questions
sabotaging all content
or ease of living data-less
no sleeplessness and hence
only then appreciate
the bliss of ignorance
I can't deny the happiness
I see upon the faces
of the children that we raise
ignorant of any traces
of the crimes and the cruelty
the older ones impart
when they find themselves repeating
what it is that broke their heart
but our kids 
not aware 
of the triple explanations 
of the very same thing
and the extra complications 
that maturity will bring
So I guess I have a new
appreciation for the lack
of the tendency for overthought
If I could get it back
the innocence and wonderment
of that inner child
Is it home?  Is it alone?
Or has it company inside?
Sometimes we think we know a lot
by colored charts and pies
but wisdom isn't satified
by downloading the sky
And now I make discoveries
within a strange mundanity
the most overlooked of things
has revealed a new philosophy
And so although I cannot change
the things that we were taught
I can pretend to rearrange
the nature of my thought
maybe I can settle them 
or settle down the breeze
of questions in the background 
that flow eternally
A restlessness too much indulged
can make one full of strife
but rest can I now, finally,
After all, it's only life

No comments:

Post a Comment